Sunday, March 23, 2008

"My Baby Boy and Me"

A poem I found on my birth board:

It's 3 am, they're all asleep, and no one's here to see, as we rock back and forth, my baby boy and me.

His little head is feather light tucked up against my chin. I hold his tiny hand in mine and stroke his baby skin.

The house around us creaks and groans, the clock hands creep around. He snuggles closer to me still and makes his baby sounds.

I love these quiet hours so much and cherish every one, storing memories up inside my heart for lonely times to come.

All too soon he'll be grown up, his need for mama gone, but until then I still have time for kisses and a song,

Time for quiet hours like this with him cuddled in my arms, where I wish he'd always stay, protected, safe, and warm.

And yet I know the day will come when his tiny little hand will be much bigger than my own; he'll be grown into a man,

But until then he's mine to love with no one here to see, as we rock back and forth, my baby boy and me.

3 comments:

The Grothaus Gang said...

I guess maybe I need to read this every time I am up in the middle of the night with Gunner, b/c I never really look at it as a pleasant experience. I can't ever get upset with him for being up b/c he's so stink'n cute, but I am forever trying to put him right back to sleep!

The Neally Family said...

I'd say it took me about 6-8 weeks before I wasn't a zombie getting up in the middle of the night with Hayden. After that I just loved holding him and rocking him a little bit longer after he was done with his bottle. Not that I love getting up in the middle of the night...

Leah said...

Very beautiful Lea! Also oh so true how those cherished snuggles become rare all to quickly.