Friday, August 15, 2008

Ava Elizabeth is Here!!

We left our home at 4:30 am in order to arrive in pre-op by 5:30. I changed into a gown and they got me all set up with an IV, hooked me up to monitors, and started asking questions and taking vital signs. The two hours went by really fast before I was wheeled back to get the spinal block. It went a lot smoother this time, but it was still quite painful. I was able to keep myself more calm and the nurses were very helpful with their support. Once it was in I layed down really quickly and waited for everything to be set up. The spinal made my blood pressure go down too far so I was given some medication to raise it, which made me throw up. After it took effect I felt so much better. Then they raised the big curtain in front of me and Josh was allowed in the room. Then all I felt was tons of pressure and it felt like someone was pressing super hard or even standing on my belly while they pulled her out. The Dr. said, "what a round headed baby". She was pooping on her way out just like her brother did. Then I heard a big cry, which just brought me to tears. They took her over to the baby care area and did all the initial clean-up and tests while my breathing started to feel really strange. It felt like I had to work to breathe, but it was just the spinal. My heart was beating really fast from the medication used to raise my blood pressure. I was curious to know how much she weighed and drum roll please... 7 LBS. 9 OUNCES. She was 21 inches long and her head was 14 inches. She's a little peanut compared to Hayden. So while the baby staff is taking care of Ava, I'm getting sewn up and moved back to the bed on wheels. They handed Ava to me all bundled up and we were wheeled together back to the recovery room where Grandma Debbie was waiting. In recovery they kept taking my vitals and got me stabilized . Right after that I was able to nurse Ava for quite awhile. Then they took Ava to the nursery for her bath and other tests while the nurse got me cleaned up and ready to be moved to my regular room. Once there I was able to eat something of a normal diet since my Dr. feels that it helps to wake up the bowels after surgery a lot sooner, but my nurse and I agreed to take it slow and I had some chicken broth and a little later some pudding. Ava is just beautiful and tiny and she just loves to camp out and nurse. Mommy and Daddy Built a New Addition.


Hayden meets his little sister for the first time.



Our little girl all wrapped up with a bow

8 comments:

pianogal said...

Woohoo! Congratulations, she's SOOO cute! I can't wait to meet her! I had a couple of missed calls from Josh' phone yesterday but I wasn't sure if he called me or his phone;)

The Neally Family said...

He called you. Haha.

Holly said...

I am so happy for you guys! She's beautiful! I love the bow and the pictures with Hayden.

So. I bet you are going to be feeling pretty good here in a few days, eh? Yay! No more painful walking! (Well... after you recover from the C-section anyway).

Well, Congratulations! I would really like to make it down to Branson sometime to visit you guys. It would be so FUN to see you all.

Love,
Holly and the family

Anonymous said...

She is certainly beautiful. We are so excited to have a granddaughter. Glad everything went well. Hope you are back to normal in no time Lea. Hayden is so much fun to watch. God certainly has blessed your/our family. We're so happy for you. Love you bunches!!

Christina said...

Congrat's! She is beautiful!! I love her hair, and her sweet bow! How fun! I am so glad your c-section went well!! I hope you are feeling well, enjoy your beautiful new baby girl!! Take care!!
:) Christina

KristinRounds said...

Ahh!! Congrats, she is a little cutie!! I bet Hayden is going to love her!

Summer said...

Congrats to all of you! She's just gorgeous!

Kristin said...

Congrats Lea. I am so happy for you guys.