Friday, August 22, 2008

Recovery


Announcement of Ava on Josh's dad's Dairy Queen sign



Recovery has gone so much smoother this time. I guess it helps to not have your blood count drop by almost half. I do have a strange after effect this time that I didn't last time. My belly in the center is all black and blue and looks like I got punched in the gut. It worried me so I called the dr. and I was told it was all normal. Whew! I'm really exhausted though because Ava wants to nurse about every hour at night. So if she nurses for a half hour and eats every hour you can guess how much sleep I'm getting.

Ava's bilirubin levels are still within normal range, but she's just not gaining weight (yep despite nursing her around the clock practically). This is likely because I have a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, which means that I'm producing too much of the watery/low cal milk so it takes a really long time for her to get to the fatty hindmilk which is really important for her to gain weight. So I will have to pump off some of the foremilk before she nurses, then nurse her as long as she wants, and then finish off with a supplement of formula. I'm exhausted just typing it.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Hi friend! I am having the same trouble with nursing!!! I hate having to supplement, but I guess it is necessary!! We definately want these babies to gain weight and grow grow grow! :) Are you worried that Ava will get attatched to the bottle?? That is my concern with Zack...what are your thoughts???

The Neally Family said...

I was at first, but so far she has had no confusion. I think it helps to keep nursing. I must say that this is really draining and a lot of work. I did get more sleep last night though. :)

3LittleFlowers said...

Im exhausted just reading... I know Christina didnt ask me (Hello there), but I wanted to give my 2 cents.. My youngest was nursing like a champ every hour for days!!! We was a 4 pounder, so I couldnt just distract her when she wanted to nurse... BUT, the ped ask me to supplement with 22 calories formula 3 times a day, and even though she was Ok with the bottle and the breast, by the time she was at normal weight, she was sooo used to having one or two bottles a day, that she started refusing to get on the breast... One day, at 4 months old, she refuse all together and simply screamed every time I tried to put her close my breast... I KNEW breastfeeding was over :(

GOOD LUCK you guys!

Christina said...

Hi! :) Thanks for the encouragement and advice!! :) What a blessing it is to have cool mom's around that are going through the same things!! How are you doing with everything Lea? Is Ava getting full and staying full longer or are you still feeding her every hour or so?? How are you feeling??? Thinking of you!!