Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hayden's first doctor appointment

Hayden had his first check-up today and he gained an oz. and 1/4 from yesterday. The doctor said his circumcision has healed beautifully and his cord will fall off any day now. He also grew one inch! Wow! So our appointment we did have on Wednesday was replaced by this one. They want to do another weight check on Friday.

So yesterday everytime I fed him I was super concerned about getting a perfect latch so I would break the seal and try to get him on probably at least 4 or 5 times at each feeding. Well, I think I damaged my nipple (sorry if that's too much information) and they were extremely painful when I woke up. I don't want to not breastfeed and skip a session because I'm in pain so after the appointment we went and got a pump so I could use that milk at some feedings to let them heal a little bit. The second time I used the pump today some blood started getting in the bottle and turned out that my nipple had cracked all the way around and was bleeding. I've used lansinoh after every feeding since the hospital, but hopefully giving them a little bit of a break will help. It's been a rough couple of days. The good part is that Hayden is sleeping much better at night and only waking for feedings. He is a very good baby.

6 comments:

The Grothaus Gang said...

Ouch! I know it's rough! I used to sit around without my shirt and bra on because it hurt just to have the material touching. I never had that kind of bleeding, though.

The Neally Family said...

Yep I know what you mean. I just wear a bra with a pad over the nipple and that helps.

KristinRounds said...

Hang in there. I guess I was lucky and never had those issues. I did hear once that people with fair skin have more sensitivity. Once you both get the hang of things you will be so glad. 2 of my kids never had a bottle and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I am just too lazy and cheap to do the whole bottle/formula thing. With Mandy my milk dried up when Bob deployed to Desert Shield, stress is a guaranteed zapper of the milk supply!! So relax, take it easy, and drink tons of water!!

The Neally Family said...

Kristin, I know. I really did not want to give Hayden a bottle. I cried when they told me I had to supplement. But if that's the way he has to gain weight right now then I have to do it. I'm too cheap for formula too. The office gave me two more cans today. Yay for free!

Holly said...

Ow! Painful. You are the woman!

KristinRounds said...

Oh, that's great they gave you free cans, that stuff is ridiculous!! Hopefully you wont even have to use those!! Yeah I was so sad when my milk dried up with Mandy but I guess there are worse things and it's not something you can really play around with for too long!!