Monday, June 11, 2007

Home nurse visit

The home nurse visited today to see how Hayden and I were doing and to also remove my staples. That wasn't painful at all. We had to go over some paperwork and they will also visit again in a couple months. Then Hayden was checked over and weighed and unfortunately he lost 4 more oz. So he's lost a little more than 10% of his birth weight. I was extremely upset. She said that he wasn't dehydrated at all and she checked my breast feeding technique and we only had to tweak one little thing. She said it took her a while when she was watching to see that he didn't quite have it right. But, we fixed that and that's been better since she left. She said that because I lost so much blood that my milk quality isn't up to par yet and that it would take a little longer. She suggested getting a breast pump and supplementing with breast milk or supplementing with formula. I then was really upset. She called the pediatrician to find out what they would suggest and a little later they got back to me and said to supplement after every nursing with formula. We're not sure how long we'll have to do that. They want us to come in tomorrow to check him out and his regular one-week check-up is on Wednesday. The nurse said this was something that I have no control over and he has such a great suck that we should have no problems with giving him a bottle. She said he was a very healthy baby and showed no signs of not getting enough except for his weight. Luckily we had a free can of formula we got in the mail and also a bottle from a goodie bag from Babies R Us. I don't want to open the box of bottles we bought yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Lea, it's bound to get better. We'll be praying for you. Look on the bright side . . . you're home and not in the hospital. Yeah.

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

Been there, doing that! I would like to say that it can be more "fun" if you rent the cute yellow hospital grade pump from Medela... the symphony model. The only drawback with that one is that it does not have a car charger feature. However it is one powerful pump. You can also get glass bottles and natural rubber nipples from Babies R Us. They are made by Evenflo. Walmart (believe it or not) also makes an organic formula with iron.
Hayden can stay green while supplementing!

You guys are soooooo cute. It makes me so happy to see your happy little family.

The Neally Family said...

I did get a pump today and got the Medela Pump in Style. We also got a car charger feature and used it right away. I love that thing! If Babies R Us was closer and I wasn't in a rush I would have gotten the glass ones.